Wednesday 31 March 2010

L3 - Fashion shoot

My first fashion shoot is booked into the studio on the 17th April, so I needed to have a think about putting my ideas of the style, poses etc I want into some sort of formal document (as you would do for a client, similar to Pips Client brief paper)  First thing was to sort out a model so I contacted Kelly, Kelly had modelled for me during my level 2 NCFE course with great success, I was to have kelly modelling some jeans similar to the Calvin Klein Jeans adverts:

The studio setup I was initially want is a single light with barn doors and honeycomb to channel the light in a particular area, it will be a hard direct light creating hash shadows on the background, Kelly (Fully clothed) will be positioned right in front of the background to emphasise this effect, a reflector will be used to fill in some of the shadow areas on Kelly.
Or this:




















 I decided to have a look around at other photographers etc for some work and poses similar to what I wanted:

































This is one of Rankin's high key fashion shots, obviously Kelly won't be this overexposed. I like this shot very simple single light coming from the right, the model right up against the background producing a clearly defined shadow thus creating depth in the image, I will be using this technique in my fashion theme although I probably won't be converting to black and white. it looks like Rankin has used a medium telephoto possibly zoomed out to around 80 - 100mm for this image which has the effect of slimming the subject, The format the image is portrayed is not the original aspect of a standard DSLR, which could suggest that he is using a medium format camera, or he could have just cropped it to that size.









Here is a layout drawing I did to formalise my ideas (I'm a bit rusty on my drawing, more practice needed)

6 comments:

  1. If you'd like a hand, (especially with the one where she's standing on her head holding her ankles with her hands) I'm available.......xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. barn doors and honeycombes, what is he talking about?! I can see another vertical learning curve approaching.

    Thanks for the feedback on my pics,some very useful tips to try,enjoy your hols.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    This clearly shows what you intend to do and includes a diagram of proposed poses and lighting. However you have not written about the images in a literal way, in that what are you going to add to your work as regards use of scale, proportion,perspective(mm lenses), lighting strength and type of attachments which may achieve this.
    This does meet P4 in planning but could meet other criteria such as interpreting and applying research to claim D2.

    steve

    steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is not detailed enough for claiming a D3 you need to write more and annotate whilst using words to deconstruct the images you have looked at.
    Go beyond what you actually see, and break it down into scale, perspective, viewpoint, focal point, shapes, colours, lines, of what you see and what you can add of value to your own work. Then you could claim for D2.

    steve

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    You have collated a range of influences in your research which are relevant to your theme.
    Also you have analysed them to see what of value you can add to your own work production.
    You have met criteria C1 as labelled.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi
    Your research has been analysed and the research that you have done has also been compared to the final outcomes you have produced.
    This meets the C2 criteria as labelled.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete